Thursday, January 14, 2016

2015 - in review

Happy New Year!

2015 was a tough year for me, having been sick with pneumonia, ear infection, gland infection, bronchitis, vitamin and mineral deficiencies, etc.... so I was in a zombie like stupor for a few months.  I'm feeling much better now, and have even joined a gym!

I have also done a lot of reading, mostly on my Kindle.  I've read all of Diana Gabaldon's books - the Outlander series, the Lord John series, etc.  She is about my age, and a prolific writer!  I'm still trying to write a short story for my brother and after five years, it is still not much more than an outline!

I've also done a bit of quilting - finished a twin size quilt for my grand's graduation.  This is the Celtic Solstice, started in 2013. That was the biggie - it started as a Bonnie Hunter mystery - she does a mystery quilt every year - posts run from the day after Thanksgiving through New Year's Eve.  Some people start posting finished pics within a week of the last clue... some of us post our pics a bit later, if ever!  The mystery is available as downloadable pdf files for a few months after it is published, then she takes it down.  These mysteries are often published in her next book, so it is a very generous thing for her to give it out free well in advance of printed publication.  It is also a fun way to make a big quilt, which often seems overwhelming, and use up a lot of stash fabrics.  She makes big quilts, but also allows for half size quilts. 

Here is my version of Celtic Solstice:

I don't think I have any orange or green left in my stash, which is okay with me.  In the future, I'll only buy green if and when I need it, since green varies so much from year to year, and it seldom plays well with others.

I also finished this little 4 block lap quilt for my bro & his wife recently - it was supposed to have been a Christmas present, but they received it in January... it's never too late to receive a present, right?






Hope your January is going well.  See you next month! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear from friends, quilters, fiber folk, and family members.
Leave a note and say hello!